
By Adam age 7

We have had a new bird at our birdfeeder: the European Starling. The European Starling is not native to North America. It was introduced in New York in the 1920's by a man who had the idea to bring all of the birds mentioned by William Shakespeare to North America.
“When he lies asleep,
And in his ear I’ll holla ‘Mortimer!’
Nay,
I’ll have a starling shall be taught to speak
Nothing but ‘Mortimer,’ and give it him,
To keep his anger still in motion.”
[1st Henry IV – I, 3]




You can find out more information about the European Starling here. Several times this winter, we have noticed large swarms of birds sitting on power lines. I did some research and I think that these are starlings. So, now you know.
And in his ear I’ll holla ‘Mortimer!’
Nay,
I’ll have a starling shall be taught to speak
Nothing but ‘Mortimer,’ and give it him,
To keep his anger still in motion.”
[1st Henry IV – I, 3]
Here are our paintings of the European Starling:

by Ethan age 8

by Abigail age 4
She decided to make a cardinal with spots instead. She declared the
blue object to be a mailbox.

By Caleb age 10

By Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment