Monday, February 13, 2012

Inspiring Thought



I like to read blogs. I read art blogs, Charlotte Mason blogs, writing blogs, Classical education blogs, Nature study blogs, unschooling blogs, project-based homeschooling blogs. (Well, actually, I read A blog in each of these categories. Hmmm.....) 
Anyway, although, we are not classical homeschoolers, I did really enjoy this quote from the Andrew Kern via the Circe Institute blog:
"We believe that classical education is the cultivation of wisdom and virtue by nourishing the soul on truth, goodness, and beauty.
That being the case, we cultivate wisdom by interaction with the “real world” (gardens, pets, home business, etc.) and great ideas expressed in great works of art. I don’t really care which great works of art (books, music, painting, etc.) you encounter (except that you have to include The Bible and Homer), just so you do it fully engaged. This is the tradition you hand on to your children."


Real world. Great ideas.


I think I can handle that.

No comments: