Monday, February 13, 2012

Great Books We Are Enjoying

He that loves reading has everything within his reach.- William Godwin


The Witch of Blackbird Pond
By Elizabeth George Speare
I am a big fan of Elizabeth George Speare (The Bronze Bow, Calico Captive).
However, this is my first time reading this book. We are really enjoying reading about brave Kit who moves from Barbados to live with her Puritan relatives in Connecticut.


George Washington's World
By Genevieve Foster
I love all of these books- especially the sketches. I copy them in my sketchbook sometimes.

D'Aulaire's Ben Franklin
This is for the younger two mostly though Ethan listens as he has never read a biography of Ben Franklin.


A Tree in the Trail
By Holling C. Holling
For Ethan and Adam.
All Holling C. Holling books are great.
Caleb and I read these a few years ago.

Paddington Bear
By Michael Bond
Abigail only. She loves having her very own book.

Chemistry:
Essential Elements
by Matt Tweed
Caleb and I are working though this starting this week. I really like the format- one idea per page with a sketch to help demonstrate the concept. We hope to begin a science journal with this book.

This Great Country of Ours
by H.E. Marshall
Caleb reads and narrates. Includes a written narration of one chapter in his end of the week report.

Halliburton's Book of Marvels
by Richard Halliburton
Caleb reads one chapter per week and then adds a post to his blog about it.

Poor Richard
 by James Daugherty
Benjamin Franklin Bio for Caleb.

Others:
Poetry for Young People: Longfellow (all)
Hercules by Geraldine Mccaughrean (Ethan)
Nate the Great  books (Adam)





Words are only painted fire; a book is the fire itself. -Mark Twain

No comments: