Some thoughts that I shared recently with some homeschool friends so that we could pray for each other....
From My Utmost For His Highest- June 20
The Lord restored Job’s losses when he prayed for his friends —Job 42:10
If you are not now receiving the “hundredfold” which Jesus promised (see Matthew 19:29 ), and not getting insight into God’s Word, then start praying for your friends— enter into the ministry of the inner life. “The Lord restored Job’s losses when he prayed for his friends.” As a saved soul, the real business of your life is intercessory prayer. Whatever circumstances God may place you in, always pray immediately that His atonement may be recognized and as fully understood in the lives of others as it has been in yours. Pray for your friends now, and pray for those with whom you come in contact now.
General Overview of What I'm doing....
Our chronological study of history drives the majority of our schoolwork. I use Story of the World by Susan Wise Bauer and living books to teach this. Other than that, each child does math, phonics or copywork/dication and handwriting individually with minor guidance. I meet with the younger two for reading. Caleb has his own reading list which he informally narrates to me. Caleb also does spanish and piano. We fit in picture study, composer study and poetry a lot at lunchtime. Nature study is random but fairly frequent. Bible is at breakfast.
What's Working:
1. Our schedule in general- We have Bible at breakfast at 8:00 and then we pack it the rest in 9:30-12:30 and then try just to read, have computer time and do other fun unstructured things in the afternoon (sketching, hikes, throwing the baseball, running errands, yardwork, etc...)
2. We have a nice blend of individual/group work.
3. The boys have a checklist for each day of all the work to get done so that they can have computer. (Daily Chores are on this list as well)
4. They keep a binder with all of their written work and daily checklist in it. (I don't really know what I was doing before we started this but it has helped immensely!)
5. The boys really enjoyed The Story of the World as our main history text. We had it on CD so that we could listen in the car if needed.
6. Right Start Math is such a good fit for us- but I hardly use half of the potential of this curriculum.
7. LOTS of reading keeps it fun for everyone- even Abigail.
What's Not Working:
1. Caleb needs challenged more this year. I spent a great deal of time focusing on Ethan and Adam acquiring reading skills and also our group study of history. I feel like Caleb treaded water for the better part of this year regarding his personal work.
2. Caleb resists written work. I may try an online writing course for him this year. (Bravewriter)
3. Copywork and dictation and lots of reading have NOT been sufficient for Spelling for us so I'm looking into options for that. Maybe All About Spelling.
4. I am going to take a break from testing next year and do portfolios which I have never done. Ideally, I would like to stay on top of this all year so that it is not as much work in May.
5. Adam's road to reading is much different than the others so I need to keep looking for new ideas for him.
6. I totally let memorization and recitation slide this past year.
7. I would like to see Ethan ignite the spark for his love of reading.
8. I would like to intentionally engage Abigail this year instead of keeping her entertained by constantly giving her goldfish crackers!
9. I have many ideas for new things that I would like that will cost $$$ so I am looking for ways to fund these.
10. I don't feel nature study alone is enough for science so I would like to add Apologia (probably) for Science this year.
No comments:
Post a Comment