Friday, May 7, 2010

Greek Notes #5: Language

Well, I cannot say that I have learned a great deal of the language. In fact, I only know three more words than when I got here. The Greek language is difficult to learn because they have a different alphabet with 24 letters and most of these do not have a direct English counterpart. Fortunately, most people know some English. The only time we really had trouble was with the owner of the hotel that we stayed at in Porta Heli. It was an older couple whose son runs the place but he wasn't there. They spoke very little English and we speak very little Greek so there was a lot of gesturing involved. The funny thing was that you would think that they would speak very little knowing that we don't understand but they would just rattle off Greek a mile a minute. Mike would just nod his head....
The three words that I know in Greek:
Efharisto- thank you
neh- yes
oxi (ohee)- yes

No comments: