Friday, May 7, 2010

Greek Notes #2- Food

I've talked a little about the food but here are all of the highlights......


Greek yogurt with honey
The honey is unbelievable here and the yogurt is very creamy.


Greek salad with Feta
No lettuce involved here just tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers, red onion, kalamata olives, a large block of feta cheese and plenty of olive oil.





Spanikopita (Spinach Pie)
Spinach and feta layered between sheets of phyllo dough.





Gyros
Meat, onions, tomatoes and tzatziki sauce on a pita.




Saganaki
Local cheese grilled or fried.

Beek Teki
Ground beef, spiced and shaped into a patty. Think a hamburger with no bun.
Chicken Souvlaki
Grilled chicken on a stick.

Spaghetti
Noodles with a meatless tomato sauce. There is a spice in the sauce that reminded us of Skyline and Mike informed us that the founder of Skyline is Greek!

Baklava
Phyllo dough layered with spices, nuts and plenty of honey.



2 comments:

jordan hart said...

food looks good!

Joan said...

Hi!

Were there any problems with food and water???

My husband, Dan, and I will soon go to the DAlmation Coast, Athens, and Crete--so my friend and Alexander Teacher, Karen DeHart sent me your blog to read. I have really enjoyed it!!!

You put all the luscious things I expect to be eating--great photography, by the way...

We are Karen's age--so not traveling with little kids like you--KUDOS to you!! What an education you have given them :) (and continue to give them).

Some places we have traveled in the world, we've been told DON'T eat fresh veggies and fruit unless you wash it yourself with purified water. This is because the water has different stuff in it than we are used to, etc etc. I will be checking with other people going exactly where we are. Just wanted to know what you experienced.

I have a good track record of STAYING HEALTHY on trips and want to keep it that way.

Just wondering--if you have time to reply to me,

Joan