Monday, June 29, 2009

A New Favorite Artist




When we want to study a particular artist, I find an example of their work and then I just save it as our desktop background on the family computer in the kitchen so that we can look at it together and talk about what we see (often during mealtimes). Usually I draw their attention to a new painting but when I put Another Busy Day on Mars by Robert Mccall (above, top) on the computer they were immediately drawn to the painting. I think that it appeals to their lego/playmobil interests.
Here is some information about the artist: Robert McCall was born in 1919 in Columbus, Ohio and knew from an early age that he wanted to be an artist. Actually his dream was to be an illustrator in the likes of Norman Rockwell or N.C. Wyeth. He started out in advertising art but went on to become most well know for his illustrations for NASA, LIFE magazine and other magazines like Popular Mechanics. He was fascinated by aviation and space travel. Much of his art depicts these themes.

No comments: