
We made a fascinating discovery today at Stillwater Prairie. We were exploring along the river's edge when Ethan and I noticed something strange in a pool of water. It looked like this:

Not a very good picture , I know- so sorry. Upon further inspection we decided that they might be frog eggs.

We were all intrigued but of course Adam had to reach in and touch them with his hands. I encouraged him to use a stick instead...

When we got home we googled frog eggs and discovered that what we had found were not actually frog eggs but TOAD eggs. You see, frogs lay their eggs in clusters while toad lay their eggs in strands. This is actually one of the major differences between frogs and toads. The others are their skin (frogs are slimy and smooth while toads are drier and bumpy), their legs (frogs have longer legs for hopping while toads walk) and their eyes (frogs eyes are protruding while toads are not).
Hmmmmmm......

No comments:
Post a Comment