Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Music to Our Ears



Music Education gets accomplished three ways in our house:
1. Piano lessons- Caleb has started piano lessons with our friend, Beth. He has really enjoyed it so far and likes to work ahead in his books. We have even played a duet together in one of his books.
2. Classics for Kids- this is a website with tons of resources for kids having to do with classical music. Each term we pick a composer and listen to radio shows from this website about our particular composer. CFK also has musical selections to listen to and also worksheets to complete if desired. You can check it out here.
3. Pandora! I love this website and it has augmented our love of music beautifully... You can design your own stations based on a musician that you like and then Pandora selects more music to listen to with similar characteristics. This has led to interesting discussion about musical style. Some of our favorite "stations" are: Beethoven (Ethan's favorite classical composer ), Tchaikovsky (Caleb's favorite... I hope I spelled that right), Kenny G, Enya, George Winston, Soweto Gospel Choir, Fernando Ortega, Kathryn Scott, Robin Mark, Allison Krauss and Josh Groban. We are studying Johannes Brahms this term and next term will be Scott Joplin. Term 1 was Aaron Copland. I would love to hear if there are other Pandora listeners reading this who have station suggestions.

1 comment:

Luke said...

Hey Twisses,
Pandora is the bomb! I've been listening to a Gordon Lightfoot channel which includes Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Jim Croce, Simon and Garfunkle (sp?), Cat Stevens as well as others. It's been great!