

We finished The Hobbit and I think that Caleb is ready for The Fellowship of the Ring. I am going to start Pippi Longstocking with the other two which I am really excited about as it is one of my favorite books of all time. This will be my second time reading it- I read it to Caleb several years ago. Later in the spring, I'm looking forward to Where the Red Fern Grows (hope I can make it through without bawling...) by Wilson Rawls and Strawberry Girl by Lois Lenski which are two more of my favorites from childhood. We may be able to fit in Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn, Roll of Thunder Hear my Cry by Mildred Taylor and Number the Stars by Lois Lowry. I may have to assign these as independent reading for Caleb but I hope not as they are all favorites and will coordinate with our Term III curriculum so well. Anyway, we really love to read around here..... I'm wondering if any of you have suggestions of books from your childhood that you loved? If so, please share!
3 comments:
Erin, I loved the Laura Ingalls Wilder book series. There is "Farmer Boy" that talks about Laura'a future husband. They ar all so good if you are studying pioneer life. More favorites are all the Narnia books. Luke and Andrew loved those. We also loved the big picture/story books by Richard Scary (Huck's son). They have inventions illustrated but also they have find the cat, wheel, rabbit etc... in all the pictures on the page. They were so fun to look at over and over again. If I think of more I will let you know. Oh yeah for Caleb, Luke loved the Box Car Children series. See you , Sister Candy
Josiah and I just finished A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle. I was pleasantly surprised by how much he understood and how much he liked it! I also remember Caddie Woodlawn as one i loved as a child about pioneer life, although haven't read that with the kids yet. I think Josiah would like the Hobbit but that was NOT my favorite so avoiding that for now...
I have to agree with Candy - I loved the Laura Ingalls Wilder series! Sierra is reading Number the Stars in her class right now and she loves it!
Post a Comment