Saturday, July 7, 2012

Great Summer Finds and more!

I am so, so happy to have stumble upon some new really good books for my kids to read so I thought that I would share!


  1. The Wilderking Trilogy by Jonathan Rogers- will remind your readers of another beloved story. Also,  check out The Charlatan's Boy by the same author.
  2. The Wingfeather Saga by Andrew Peterson- also a trilogy, so far. We are also enjoying one of his musical cd's.
  3. The 100 Cupboards by N.D. Wilson and others by the same. Caleb declared this author to be one of his favorites of all time. He just started The Dragon's Tooth which seems to be more mature in content than the others but still has good reviews and I think a 12 year old can handle it.
  4. The White Mountains and other Tripod books by John Christopher- these are science fiction.
  5. The Rise and Fall of Mount Majestic by Jennifer Trafton- haven't read yet but looks in the same vein as the others mentioned.
  6. Others to consider.... The Fiddler's Gun by A.S. Peterson and also the Taliesin series by Stephen Lawhead- both more mature in content but still clean. Also, we hopefully will get to Banner in the Sky which is an adventure book.

Where did I find these marvelous books, you ask? Check out StoryWarren and The Rabbit Room. (While you are at Story Warren, be sure to read this post). These are two sites dedicated to cultivating truth, beauty and goodness through storytelling. Well, I don't know if that is  their official description but it's what I think, at least.

And, I am reading The World According to Narnia by Jonathan Rogers which contains a chapter on the spiritual meaning behind each of the seven Chronicles of Narnia. Speaking of the Chronicles of Narnia, here is a list of fantasy book and series that I can happily recommend:

1. The Chronicles of Narnia- C.S. Lewis
2. The Hobbit- Tolkien
3. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy- Tolkien
4. The Chronicles of Prydain- Lloyd Alexander
5. The Hero and the Crown- Robyn McKinley
6. The Great and Terrible Quest by Margaret Lovett
7. The Guardians of Gahoole series by Kathryn Lasky
8. The Redwall Series by Brian Jaques
9. Inkheart and others by Cornelia Funke
10. Obvious other favorite are Harry Potter, Percy Jackson and the Eragon series.



Lastly, I enjoyed this booklist and thought I might make a list of parenting books I love. Here is is:

1. Hints on Child Training by Clay Trumbull
2. The Mom Walk by Sally Clarkson
3. For the Children's Sake by Susan Schaeffer Macaulay
4. When Children Love to Learn by Elaine Cooper
5. The Five Love Languages of Children by Gary Chapman
6. How to Talk so Kids Will Listen and Listen so Kids Will Talk by Adele Faber and Liz Mazlish
7. Raising Self-Reliant Children in a Self-Indulgent World by H. Stephen Glenn
8. Positive Discipline by Jane Nelson
9. The Call to Brilliance by Resa Steindel Brown
10. Don't have a tenth yet but am looking forward to reading the following and maybe one of them will be it:
  • The Mission of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson
  • Grace-Based Parenting by Tim Kimmel
  • Real Love for Real Life- The Art and Work of Caring by Andi Ashworth

No comments: