Tuesday, June 8, 2010

2009-2010 Term III Highlights (and the year in review)


Our trip to Greece pretty much overshadowed everything this term but there were several other things that we enjoyed. Here they are in no particular order:

1. Sketch Tuesday- we have enjoyed each weekly Sketch assignment and even had Mimi come over and give us some instruction on shading.
2. George Frederic Handel- we created a Handel station on Pandora and also listened to Classics for Kids to learn more about this composer.
3. Impressionists- we didn't do nearly as much with this as
I had hoped but we will continue with some Plein Air painting
through the summer.
4. Explode the Code- we have actually been using this resource all year but the younger two boys really enjoy it and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a
series of Phonics workbooks that provide strong sequential exercises that a child can work through independently for daily practice.
5. Let's Read by Leonard Bloomfield. This book has been a much better fit for both Ethan and Adam than the BOB books. Phonics-based, sequential reading practice.
6. History resources- we have been using The Story of the World by Susan Wise Bauer. We actually listen to the book on CD which is read by Jim Weiss. LOVE IT! We will continue this through next year as we study medieval history. I am also reading SWB's The History of the Medieval World (for adults) so that I understand this part of history.
7. Ohio State Marching Band- Mike bought this for us and it has raised parade watching to a whole new level. The kids love it! (I am hearing drums in my sleep....) It would be a great Father's Day gift for any Buckeye fan.
8. Books on CD- we loved Charlotte's Web, Frog and Toad, Around the World in 80 Days and others. We optimized car time by listening together.





No comments: