Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Homeschool Survival 101

I started to jot my thoughts down about this in August after talking to a mom who was getting ready to start homeschooling. I stumbled across it again last week and finally finished it. This was a meaningful process for me and I feel convicted about some of my own suggestions. Goal setting, anyone?


1. In order to avoid being overwhelmed, pick just
one thing each term to focus on improving. There are usually several areas of our homeschool that I am not satisfied with but I cannot, from a practical perspective, overhaul the whole system in a few months so this makes change a bit easier to implement. I know about a year ago I was distraught about the resistance that I felt from one of my children over handwriting. So, I made that the one thing for that term. I did research on a few materials that were a bit outside of the box and tried to spruce up our approach. He really responded and was writing much better in a few months. Another term I really tried to find a way to make Spanish more interesting; another term it was math.

2. Be in tune with your own family's
natural schedule. I am a morning person and we get the bulk of our work done before lunch (mainly so I can take a nap!) but I have a friend who sleeps later and does most of her homeschooling in the afternoon when her toddlers are sleeping.

3. Allow your "
flavor" of homeschooling to shine through. Maybe yours is a nature loving family or maybe you love to read and discuss books as a family. Family interests could include: music, theatrical arts, creative arts, sports, travel, missions or community groups. Family interests will follow the natural inclinations of the parents, usually. What do you love to do and how can you make that into something that can be enjoyed as a family?

4. Instead of focusing on academic objectives and the pressure that comes from that, think about helping your children become
who they are. Each child is a unique expression of our Creator and comes equipped with the own natural strengths and weaknesses. How can you help them develop as a person?

5.
GO. OUT. SIDE. I have never loved the outdoors as much as I do now that I am a homeschooling mom. Time outside refreshes our hearts as we witness the beauty of nature, our minds as we learn about our natural environment and our bodies as we hike, walk, bike or rollerblade.

6.
Delegate! Once someone asked me how I get my housework done if I homeschool all day. I replied that I get a lot of help because everyone pitches in. It also helps that my husband is more particular about housekeeping (is that bad?) and so he has taken over managing the chore system. I am responsible to see that they know what to do and that they have the right cleaning materials but they answer to Dad at the weekly Family Meeting for their chore chart. Also, consider that children are being educated in your home and so your house is going to reflect that.

7. If you are overwhelmed about how to fit it all in, think outside the box. Maximize time in the car by listening to educational CD's. Teach your kids how to cook (Math) and bake with them. Sports practice can count as Physical education. We also take Art lessons (from Grandma) and piano. Your kids don't need to be sitting at a desk or table in order to be learning.

8. Still pursue your own interests. I know that this requires balance so that it doesn't take away from the family but if done right, your personal time can be an asset to your family. Not only w
ill you enjoy the time and mental outlook that hobbies bring but it's a great example for your kids to follow their own interests. I personally recommend exercise for the endorphins and also the calorie burning benefits.


9. If you have toddlers, consider making a "Toddler Box" with items set aside just for them to work with while you are homeschooling older children. In fact, make a couple, put one up on a shelf and then switch in a new one when the items lose their appeal. Check here for some ideas for a toddler box.

10.
Set goals together keeping the end in mind. Discuss with each child what your hopes and dreams are for them. Ask them what their dreams are. Work backward from there to set goals together. Will the goals change? Yes, but goal setting is a good habit and that paradigm is just as important as the specific goal. Set goals together and then celebrate goals achieved together.

11. Try to plan
one-on-one fun time with each of your kids. This past summer, I let each of my sons plan an outing with me. I was tickled by their choices. One chose to ride bickes to the park, play tennis and get a doughnut. One wanted a snow cone and a night swim just with mom. Another wanted a hot chocolate from a local coffee shop and then wanted to go to our nature center's bird vista to watch the birds! Now my husband is planning on take each child out for breakfast. He took my daughter on a date last week. These things make each child feel special and appreciated which in turn makes them feel more cooperative for homeschooling. It helps create an atmosphere of "We-think-you-are-really-important-which-is-why-we-are-educating-you-at-home-so-work-with-us,-ok?"

12.
Enlist Dad's help. Maybe he is a Math whiz or maybe he could take over the science experiments. I know of one dad who teaches history in the evening after supper. My husband helps more with home management- oversight of chores, etc....(I need alot of help here) but at the very least, your husband is your best source of input regarding homeschooling issues. He's a better ear than the blogs you read or other moms you talk to because he has the vision for your home and also the best insight regarding you and your kids.

13.
Utilize community resources. Not only are these great for field trips but they also get your kids out and about and used to being around all ages and types of people. This could mean local history sites, museums and the like but also groups that celebrate service and community.

14. Take a nap! We try to have rest time every day although this hasn't happened as much this year because my daughter no longer takes a nap every day. The point is: get a break in the afternoon if you can. Older kids can be reading, drawing or writing on their beds and smaller children can be looking at books or playing with a quiet toy. The most important rule of rest time in our house is: BE QUIET. This is part of our homeschool. When I was a teacher, we had independent reading time as part of our schedule so this qualifies!

15. Find support. We all need a pick-me-up every now and then. I have a three wonderful friends who also homeschool. One gives great medical advice because she is a nurse. Another is great at organization and one has good insight into me as a person. If you can't find a real, live person to talk to about homeschooling there are a gazillion blogs out there about homeschooling. These can be wonderful resources for you especially if you identify a particular approach that suits your homeschool. Keep in mind that although these moms often don't write about their struggles (they are celebrating the things that work!), they probably have the same problems that the majority of us have. They are just a little further down the trail.....

16. Keep it positive. All of us have bad days and tears are not a good sign (on the part of child or mother... ) Here is the answer: PLAY GAMES. Almost every game has an educational component so these can count as school, too!

17. Learn together. Your enthusiasm for learning will spark their interest and the reverse is true also. So, model the learning process by exploring things together. I think that sometimes the together-ness of homeschooling is hard (I'm an introvert) and I just have to pray. I'm counting on God's help in this area.


18. Know yourself. Be flexible. Do what works for you and don't compare. We have to resist the temptation to be legalistic about homeschooling. The same techniques/philosophy/curriculum will not work for everyone. So find out what works for you and go with it. If you are unhappy, something needs to change.

19. Focus on the atmosphere of your home. Do your kids love to learn and do they know how to learn? These are more important than any specific skill that you will ever teach. When they are adults, what do you want them to remember about your homeschool?

20. Pray.

Galatians 6:9
And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.

No comments: