Thursday, October 15, 2009

Pomegranates

Today was an impromptu pomegranate day. It all started last night when I noticed that our grocery was selling pomegranates. I've never tried one so I bought a few. Well, Abby Jane came to me today wanting to read this Greek Myth: Persephone by Sally Pomme Clayton.

As you may already know, the story tells of Persephone who was kidnapped by Hades, the god of the underworld. While there, she eats three pomegranate seeds and therefore must return forever after for three months out of the year. I mentioned that we actually had a few pomegranates in the kitchen so we went to c heck them out:

I admitted that I didn't actually know how to eat a pomegranate so Caleb suggested that we google it. You can check that out here. So, next we cut it open and this is what we saw: seeds!

This was very interesting to us because we have been studying seeds this fall on our nature hikes. Also, Wikipedia informed us that pomegranates are native to the Mediterranean and Middle East where they grow on shrubs and small trees. In the Jewish tradition pomegranates symbolize righteousness.


Upon trying the pomegranate, Ethan announced that this was his new favorite fruit. I must also add that is also a very messy fruit. Abigail looked like she had chicken pox after she got done eating.


We also found this painting by Botticelli called Madonna of the Pomegranate.


We also decided to sketch the pomegranate- a nice subject to practice shading.

I decided to do some research on how to use the seeds besides just eating them with our fingers.Check out a recipe for a salad using pomegranate seeds here. (Maybe I'll get the kiddos to eat spinach!) And here is a chicken dish!


Lastly, we made a word web of adjectives and phrases to describe the pomegranate. I used these to write a poem. Here it is....

Ode to the Pomegranate
Our initial glimpse reveals your crown and apple-like skin.
But upon first touch we discover that you are different.
We slice and find a star shaped cavity filled with irridescent crimson jewels.
Your luscious seeds start with a burst of juice and end with a crunch.

1 comment:

heidi said...

so fun! way to incorporate it all in!