Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Can You say Cherry Pie?


So, for a few weeks there I was obsessed with cherries and Cherry Crumb Pie. My sister-in-law has a cherry tree so I would go pick cherries and then make a pie. There is just something satisfying about harvesting your own fruit and then baking....anything! However, this meant that I did quite a bit of entertaining so that we didn't have to eat all of the pies. Finally, Mike said, "Stop making pies!" (We are on a weight loss program and the pies were not helping.....) Anyway, standing up in the tree one day with branches in my hair and a stiff wind blowing, I had a poetic inspiration. Here is a Cherry Haiku:

Golden red goodness dangling
Just beyond my reach
Worth the peril- don't look down!

And the recipe:

Cherry Crumb Pie

Ingredients

Pie Crust- I use store bought.

  • Filling
    • 2-1/2 - cups sour cherries
    • 1/2 - cup granulated sugar
    • 1/2 - cup light brown sugar
    • 2 - Tablespoons flour
    • 2 - Tablespoons butter
    • l/2 - cup water or cherry juice
  • Crumbs
    • 3/4 - cup flour
    • 3/4 - cup sugar
    • 1/4 - teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 - cup butter
    • 1/2 - teaspoon nutmeg or cinnamon

Directions

Preheat oven to 350° F.

  1. Roll out crust, and line 9-inch pie dish.
  2. Dredge with a little flour and sugar and dot with butter.
  3. In a saucepan, add and mix flour, sugar, and water or cherry juice to a smooth paste.
  4. Cook over low heat until mixture thickens.
  5. Add balance of butter and cook a minute longer.
  6. Remove from heat, mix with cherries, cool, then pour into pie shell.
  7. For crumbs, mix flour, sugar, and salt, blend with butter, add nutmeg or cinnamon (or substitute vanilla or lemon juice) and when mixture breaks into crumbs sprinkle thickly over cherries.
  8. Bake for 45 minutes.






1 comment:

heidi said...

I enjoyed eating the pie very much. Good thing, since my parents' cherries are apparently all harvested and gone before I could even tell her I had a recipe to try... but we know how recipes and I are. So glad I got to sample yours:)