Friday, March 20, 2009

A Day in the Life.... (at this point in time!)


Here is a typical day in our house:

8:00-8:30 breakfast and Bible- read daily passage, go over scripture memory passage, read a page from Polite Moments.

8:30-9:15 morning chores
9:15-9:30 Piano (Caleb)
9:30-10:15 Math and Chess (Caleb) ; Reading, Word Wall (Ethan)
10:15-10:45 Handwriting and Spanish (Caleb) ; Phonics, Handwriting, Math (Ethan)
10:45-11:30 Literature for everyone! (right now we are reading D'Aulaire's Abraham Lincoln and Aesop's Fables and working on various forms of narration with Caleb modeling. We will be starting Old Mother West Wind this coming week.)
11:30- 12:00 History and Geography (or science) - Minn of the Mississippi (Caleb). We will also be starting to study the Civil War using This Great Country of Ours or The American Story and other various chapter and picture books.

Usually Adam wanders down to work on writing his letters and somewhere in there we occasionally read a BOB book. Adam and Abigail also really enjoy Nursery Rhymes and so I have some cut and paste activities that they can do at the table while the others are doing table work.

12:00 Chores and Lunch prep...
12:30- Lunch (this is usually when we do a picture/composer study- we keep our picture as our desktop background so that we can talk about it and then we also listen to excerpts about or from our composer from classicsforkids.com)

We try to do a nature hike one afternoon a week and we usually have a special poetry "teatime" on Wednesday mornings. We've been studying birds here and there using various sources but that has been informal. I would like to start including The Burgess Book of Birds somewhere in our daily reading but that hasn't happened yet.

1:00-2:00 Outside and free time

2:00-3:30 rest time and nap

3:30 SNACK! Play, have someone over or go somewhere....

5:30- chores, clean up and dinner prep

Each of them like to have a particular chapter book read to them. Ethan and I are reading an Usborne version of King Arthur tales. Caleb and I will be starting Where the Red Fern Grows. Adam likes the Magic Tree House series. We fit these in any time throughout the day- even at bedtime.

On Fun Fridays, the kids have Art lessons with Mimi and this spring we will be taking to the outdoors for some physical education. Tennis anyone?

Special projects (like a map of the land of Oz) usually happen at the dining room table after lunch. I need to add more of these because they are really high interest. I also would like to add dictation for Caleb and also more journal/story writing for everyone. Does blogging count? :)

This helps me to see my day at a glance. I always like to look at how others organize their day- it gives me ideas. Of course, it doesn't always go this way. Some days we don't start until 10:00 and then I just push back lunch. Whatever works!

No comments: